Founded in 2021 with headquarters in Singapore, Unravel enables companies to assess their carbon footprint by tracking their digital financial footprint with its proprietary carbon emission factor model; making it easy, fast and convenient to become climate positive.
We aim to accelerate the participation of all companies, big and small, in the global fight against climate change. And we want to do it the 21st century way—autonomous, painless, and beautiful.
Unravel consists of a team of software engineers, data scientists, founders and climate experts with a passion to solve the world’s most pressing issue—climate change.
Collectively, our leadership team has launched and invested in multiple companies, and are now combining their experience and knowledge here at Unravel.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This role is our first data hire in the tech team. It's a bit of a combination between a Data Engineer and a Data Analyst. We don't expect you to be a 100% fit, so if you don't feel comfortable with some tasks, that's completely ok.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Work directly with the CTO and the Carbon Emission Expert
- Work with customers to upload the required raw data necessary to estimate their carbon footprint
- Set up a data warehouse of public and proprietary data sets
- Work with a Carbon Emission Expert to identify data needs, transformation, and computation necessary for carbon estimation
- Perform ad-hoc analyses, and work with the CTO to productize and scale them
- Perform thorough validation of the analysis
- Ingest and transform unstructured data sets
- Design carbon data pipelines
- Design production data sets.
- Willingness to learn, be a self-starter, and thrive in uncertainty; you would be one of the first employees at an early stage startup, be prepared to venture into unknown territory, collaborate and learn
- Meticulous and detail-oriented
- Are able to write (sometimes complex) SQL queries
- Have proficiency in Python
- Able to dive into really complex Excel sheets
- Are excited to make data and analyses re-usable
*Optional: Have experience building robust and scalable data pipelines
*Optional: Have experience in statistics (Regression analysis, T-tests, Distributions).
YOUR WORK STYLE
- An understanding of agile product development
- Analytical and detail-oriented, and fully capable of navigating and combining various datasets to pull out key insights
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, while being flexible to evolving responsibilities and last-minute changes
- Self-starter (proactive and independent) with a proven ability to prioritize different assignments and tasks to meet deadlines
- Comfortable working in a collaborative environment
- Ability to think outside of the box and creatively problem-solve
- Experience in working cross-functionally across multiple stakeholders
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills to translate the data into understandable (visual) insights.
YOUR PREFERRED BACKGROUND
A Masters Degree is required, preferably in a field related to industrial ecology, environmental science, life cycle analysis, etc. - and/or data science, statistics, mathematics, computer science, etc.
You have knowledge of:
- Input-Output analysis and databases (EEIO)
- Sub-national level (e.g. city-level or region-level) Material Flow Analysis techniques and systems thinking
- Life Cycle Analysis, life cycle inventories, and impact databases to calculate environmental impacts, embodied emissions, etc. from bills of materials data and other material flow data.
You have demonstrated experience in:
- Data analysis and visualisation
- Manipulating datasets and exchange transform load processes
- Collaborative data science i.e. git, documentation, quality assurance
- SQL, Python and cloud databases (AWS or GCP experience is great!)
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
We offer an exciting challenge for a purpose-driven person who thoroughly enjoys learning and takes up responsibilities in a multi-cultural, primarily virtual, and pioneering organization.
We nurture a culture that allows you to thrive, where your skills can be honed and your ideas will be heard, and where collaboration across teams and with global partners is the default.
For this role, we offer an initial 1-year contract for 40 hours per week, which may be extended depending on performance and funding opportunities.
The remuneration package is competitive, keeping in mind we are a start-up and we look forward to developing your skills and responsibilities to grow alongside the company.
Click on "I'm Interested" to apply now!